Wednesday, October 6, 2010

PC Maintenance and Security

The first tutorial that I watched showed how to speed up my computer using MSconfig. It showed me how I could limit the number of programs that automatically started on my computer. This speeds things up. I will definitely share this with others because it is something that is easy to do, and it provided resources for those programs that you just aren't sure about. There was some information that surprised me. I didn't realize how many programs automatically started on my computer when I turned it on. This should drastically increase the startup time on my computer. It was a very useful tutorial.


The second tutorial that I watched was how to use CleanUp! to erase files on your computer. This is a simple program that you can download, and then run to delete excess junk on your computer. This again is something that I will share with others because I didn't realize how much wasted space I had. I deleted over 130 MB's. Now, I wasn't running out of space, but nothing like a spring cleaning every now and again.
Most of the files that I saw being deleted I didn't recognize - and that's because they're temp files. The next time that I encounter a slow running computer, I will think to use this program and see what I can clean up.

The last tutorial that I watched was for RoboForm, this keeps all of your passwords together. I was interested in this program because I have trouble keeping track of all of my passwords. Nothing surprised me, but I was interested in this program because it will make things a lot easier for me. I will tell my parents about this program because I think it will help them keep track of their passwords as well.


To be honest, I didn't think I was going to learn anything in this lab, and I was really surprised. I've clicked on a ton of videos, and I really am learning things. Coming into the course, I would have said that I'm a pretty advanced user- but I've learned so much in the last few weeks that I didn't know, I'm excited to go on and learn more.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't technology humbling!?! Just when I think I know stuff...I realize how little I truly know. It is a good thing I like to learn. I'm encouraged by your positive and motivated attitude. :) You will inspire many...

    ReplyDelete